October 2021: Issues and concerns that we have followed and commented on for many years.
Long Term Care, Home Care and Health Care
CFUW Ontario Council supports the five principles of Medicare – universal, accessible, comprehensive, portable and publicly administered, including Home Care services. Currently we are concerned about Long-Term Care, advocating for evidenced-based standards, with qualified well-paid full-time staff with benefits, annual, unscheduled onsite inspections among other points. Read more …
Early Learning and Child Care
CFUW Ontario Council supports early learning and child care that is accessible, affordable, comprehensive, emphasizing the development of the whole child. Read more …
At the Ontario Council AGM this past May, the membership adopted the resolution, Human Trafficking Awareness, Prevention and Detection. Read more …
CFUW Ontario Council supports using all powers available including policy and program development, legislation and regulations, taxation mechanisms, legal enforcement, market incentives and inter-governmental agreements to deal with the climate emergency. Read more …
Education & Schools
CFUW Ontario Council supports a high-quality public education system, and is currently concerned about the long-lasting impacts of COVID and on-line learning on students and learning. Read more …
Gender Based Violence
CFUW Ontario Council is concerned about and will support actions that stop gender-based violence of any type. Read more …
Poverty & Affordable Housing
CFUW Ontario Council supports measures that will relieve poverty, especially child poverty, including a basic income program.
Affordable Housing & Homelessness
CFUW Ontario Council supports programs and actions that will guarantee more affordable housing as well as programs that will alleviate homelessness. Read more …
Current Ontario Council Actions
- October 17 – Letter to Minister Lecce re access to menstrual supplies
- May 2 – Spring 2021 survey, Long Term Care in Ontario sent to multiple ministers and critics.
- April 12 – Ministry of Education’s proposed amendments to the Education Act, in particular the changes pertaining to online learning.
- March 1 – MOE response to CCEYA consultation
- February 10 – 2021 Budget Brief
- January 15, 2021 – Ontario 2021-22 Education Funding Guide.
This Special Edition of the Annual Report – ADVOCACY ✮ AWARDS ✮ ACCOLADES – celebrated the action of the clubs from advocacy to community action to fundraising and friendly support.
A number of letters were submitted to the Ontario Government in 2020.
- November 30 – Conservation Authorities Act
- November 24 – Long term care, annual unannounced inspections
- November 19 – Review of the Child Care & Early Years Act
- November 5 – Human Trafficking
- October 1 – Payday Loans
- September 20 – Long term care, More Than a Visitor Act
- April 9 – Thank-You to First Line Essential Health Workers
- April 6 – Support for University Students
To view Letters and Briefs from previous years select the appropriate year from the Select Category drop-down list on the right-hand side of the page.
To view Budget Briefs from previous years select Budget Briefs from the Select Category drop-down list on the right-hand side of the page.